His music is a blend of garage, hip hop, grime, ragga, pop and electronic music, with eclectic samples and more exotic styles. Best known for his number-one hits "Dance wiv Me", "Bonkers", "Holiday", "Dirtee Disco" & "Shout", his debut album, Boy in da Corner, won him the 2003 Mercury Prize. Follow-up albums Showtime, Maths + English and Tongue n' Cheek have all been critically acclaimed and certified gold, the last going platinum for sales exceeding 300,000 units. Oh, and he was confirmed in our first wave to be hopping on board (on one of our stages anyway) at Boardmasters 2019!
Here are 10 facts about Dizzee Rascal that were news to us! Make sure you're sitting down...
1. The British rap scene was described to have been ‘dead in the water’ before Dizzee Rascal grabbed his record deal at the age of 19 in 2003.
2. Rascal has bagged 5 number-one hits in his career to this date including “Dance Wiv Me”, “Bonkers”, “Holiday”, “Dirtee Disco”, “Shout”. His chart-topper 'Dance Wiv Me' ft Calvin Harris and British R&B singer Chrome sat at number 1 for 4 weeks back in 2008....memories.
3. After being expelled for bad behaviour from the first four, it was at his fifth school where a teacher was first to call him ‘Rascal.’..Catchy
4. It was at this same school that he was excluded from all classes except music. Fifth time lucky?
5. Unusually, amongst his friends, Rascal is known to have read the heavy metal magazine Kerrang! and was a fan of the grunge band Nirvana.
6. During an interview with Jeremy Paxman, Dizzee Rascal hinted that he could become the first UK Prime Minister…. well, anything’s possible.
7. Dizzee Rascal was the youngest and first rapper to receive the Mercury Prize in 2003 at just 19 years old with his debut Album “Boy In Da Corner”.
8. Back in 2010, Dizzee collaborated with James Corden on a charity single called “Shout For England”. The Grime MC linked up with Corden for the unofficial anthem for England’s 2010 World Cup Campaign.
9. Dizzee also collaborated with the Artic Monkeys in 2007 with the track “Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend.”
10. Following his 2009 Wireless Festival performance, Prince Harry met with Dizzee and was described to have been “joking around and being a bit cheeky”. Rascal jokingly told the sixth in the line to the throne that had he not been royalty, he “would’ve punched you (your Highness) in the face by now”. Thankfully, Harry seemed to like that...